Sunday, December 14, 2008

TRADITIONS


Saturday our family gathered together for our traditional tamale making day.  Those that "love" to make tamales gather in the morning.  We are usually done by noon and ready to eat red chille burros with the left overs.  That is the best part in my book!  
In the afternoon we make one or two crafts to enjoy in our homes for the Christmas  Season.   We take a break at 4:00 from a long day to wait for the rest of our loved ones to arrive for guess what? A TAMALE dinner.  After dinner we enjoy dessert and have our "battle" of an ornament exchange.  The luckest person is Mom because since she is the oldest and no one has the nerve to take away an ornament from her she gets the final pick of whatever she wants and no one can take hers!  There is a benefit to being the oldest!  Then we pack up to leave from a very long, tiring but wonderful day! 

The best of all gifts around any Christmas Tree, is the PRESENCE of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
Enjoy the slideshow.

7 comments:

TeamHedrick said...

That looks and sounds so much fun! Do your girls know how to make tamales? If you are ever offering a "how-to" class- I want to come! -Lesley

Sara Weber said...

I you have a "how-to" class I want to come too! I'll come learn tamales or any of your other many talents! ;)
I love family traditions. I've been working really hard this year to repeat my favorite things from past years with the girls so that they have things to look back on that were "our family things".

Brandy said...

Seriously...I LOVE tamales! Yummy!

Melissa B said...

What a great tradition! I love it. thank you for sharing all of your family recipes as well. They are fantastic! Love you guys!!

Steph (and Bryant) said...

YUM!!!! THANK YOU for saving me last night. Seriously I NEED some lessons from you. How about I just come be your little shadow?!? You are amazing. I love your talent/skills!!!!!!!

Jill said...

Sounds like you need to offer a tamale making class! If you do, please invite me!

Anonymous said...

Could you give a tamale-making class in Portland too?

Alice

Disco classes

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!

my lil' fam

my lil' fam
The ASU Family