Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Beginning of the Future

After spending many hours of what to say about the sentencing no words can express what my feeling are at this time.  Many of you have emailed me and asked about my trip.  Over all, it was the best trip I've made to the Bay Area since Jamie graduated from Medical School. I could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Oh how I heard that saying many times during our school years and now the trial.  After the trial the next day our family gathered together in honor of our cousin Frank Garcia (Chanico). I've posted above a slide show of our celebration and the wonderful family we have. 

I'm enclosing a letter from my cousins wife Anita that sums up the trial.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers, calls and concerns but especially your love thru this long two and a half years!
Love you all,
Liz

Letter from Anita:

Hello all,
 
I wasn't sure if I would send this last update.  Our emotions have been so raw that the sound of this message being our last update brings tears to my eyes.  All of you may not have realized how you have helped me through this horrific experience.  Just wanting to stay updated and wanting to know how my family and I were doing meant lots to me.
 
As you know, the sentencing was held on Friday, October 24th.  I arrived at the court   just in time to enter the court room.  You know many times you watch crime shows on TV but you never imagine you'd live through one.   Unfortunately, the courtroom became a comfortable place for me.  I was pleased to see a full courtroom.  There were Frank's friends from work, Frank's Mother, sisters, cousins, nieces, nephew, sister in laws and a few close friends.
 
As the judge began the process we had the opportunity to address the court.  There were 5 of us that provided a victim statement to the court.  Frank's nephew spoke, a cousin, his sister, Alana (his daugher), and I spoke.  We each spoke about the impact this crime has had in our lives.  Of course, many tears were shed.  Everyone anticipated Alana's talk and as you would imagine it was very painful to hear as she spoke about the pain in her heart and trying to move forward in her life without her Dad.  Despite the pain she did it with great strength and dignity. 
 
I would like to let you know that I  know some of you have known Frank for a very long time.  Since the days of playing little league with him.   There are also some of you that have known me and the kids for a long time.  You too may have thoughts of anger, frustration, and pain as you see us go through this.  But what I want all of you to know is that we, our family, never wished ill for the murderer.  Although, going through this deeply questioned our belief in our faith.  It is because of our faith that we did not wish ill for this man.  In our statements we expressed our thoughts and feelings on how he would live with what he did every day of his life.  He would hear the words we spoke that would stay with him.  It is the memory of our words, expressions and what he did that will stay in his mind and soul forever.  That is where our hearts find solice.  Hope you understand and hope that if you struggled with your own thoughts that ours helped you.
 
Once all the statements were read the judge handed down the sentence.  He received the maximum for the first degree murder charge (25 yrs to life).  He also received an additional 4 years for the second charge and the use of a machete.  In total he received 29 years to life.  His first opportunity for the possibility of parole would be in 29 years. 
 
As I close this message I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being there for us.   My only request is that you all stay in touch with us.  Take care. 
 
Love,
 
Anita Garcia

1 comments:

Brandy said...

Ah, see...that was a good way to write it out. :)

Healing is never an easy process, but you have a strong family, I got that yesterday in your words. Your family will help each other heal.

Disco classes

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!

my lil' fam

my lil' fam
The ASU Family