Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Doug Keough





{Doug is the guy in the burgundy jacket}.




The other night,  my cousin Doug, Erik, Matt and Josh, his nephews, and Steve, his brother, all got together for a time of head shaving. Doug will lose his hair again, so as a sign of bonding and support, these 4 men decided to shave their heads too. For those of you who are familiar with electric razors, Doug's hair was cut at a 0 setting, Erik was at a 1, Matt and Steve chose 2, and Josh went for 4. It was a great time of laughing and picture taking. 

 Doug is now in the hospital receiving his bone marrow transplant.  
These are words my cousin Sarah wrote about her husband Doug.
Today, Tuesday, was an uneventful day. I am glad for those. Doug continues to feel well and makes a daily effort to exercise and to stay out of his bed. He walks around the pod area pushing his IV cart and wearing his mask. He said that he did the electric slide today for about 15 minutes in his room, but none of the nurses came in to join him. 

He has received 3 bags of type 0 blood in preparation for Thursday. No problems with that. His only complaint is that he has no appetite. The dietitian met with him and they have decided he should only order what sounds good, not what is being offered on the menu. She also stocked his shelf with snacks like crackers, chips, pretzels, and fruit cocktail so that he can have those if he feels he can eat.

I am just so amazed when I spend the days with Doug. He refuses to let himself get down. He stays out of bed. He visits with others and talks to people he has met. I praise God for the faith and confidence of my wonderful husband.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, Marylin goes in bright and early in the morning to have a central line put in. Then she will go upstairs to begin donating her cells. Pray for her protection and that they will be able to harvest as many cells as they can. 

My favorite Psalm came to mind on the way home as I was listening to the radio. A song by Caedman's Call about how our trust lies in the Lord.

Psalm 121 'I lift up my eyes to the hill - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip. He who watches over you will not slumber; Indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you. 
The LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm. He will watch over your life; The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.'

0 comments:

Disco classes

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!

my lil' fam

my lil' fam
The ASU Family